Chelsea Football Club have been axed by FIFA from registering new players for the next two transfer windows and fined 600,000 Swiss Francs (US$599,460), football’s world governing body FIFA said on Friday (Feb 22).
The Blues were found to have breached regulations in the case of 29 minor players and have committed several other infringements relating to registration requirements for players, FIFA said.
The Premier League club have said they will appeal against the decision.
Based on documents from Football Leaks, French website Mediapart claimed in November that 19 Chelsea signings had been looked at during a three-year investigation.
Mediapart alleged that 14 of those signings were under the age of 18.
It was first reported in September 2017 that Chelsea were being investigated.
Burkina Faso international Bertrand Traore – who now plays for Ligue 1 club Lyon – signed his first professional contract at Chelsea in 2013 at the age of 18 but was not registered until January 2014.
Mediapart claimed Fifa found evidence that Chelsea had misled them over the dates, while Traore was found to have made 25 appearances for the Blues (under-16, under-18 and first team) despite not being registered by the FA. (bbc Afternews Analysis)